Thursday, October 23, 2008

Glass Casserole Dish Etching Tutorial

You buy the etching cream, which is expensive from your craft store (joanne's doesn't carry it, i find it at michaels). It costs $34.00 for a big bottle or $15.00 for a little bottle. Each bottle can do ALOT!!! Oh and to save you time and money. DO NOT BUY THE GENERIC. It costs like $5.00. It doesn't work, I tried it. And don't buy the sand etch sand blaster. It doesn't work either.

Now for the Instructions:
Step One. Get your vinyl piece. Yes it looks like this:
Step Two: Clean your pan with glas cleaner. Put it on the back, not the inside, the back of your pan like this:
Step Three: Get the really expensive stuff and using a crappy paint brush place a nice coat, not to thin but don't waste the stuff, it costs alot remember. Leave that stuff on for 30 minutes. No less, It's okay if it's more. It puffs up. Kind of like hydrogen peroxide on a cut. Put it on just like this:
Step Five: Wash that stuff off and peel off the vinyl, make sure to get the insides of your letters. It doesn't look like it's done, but trust me it is.
Step Six: This is what it looks like. As it dries it gets lighter and easier to see.
Here is is from the back, see you can see it now...I told you it would get lighter.
These make great Enrichment Night Projects, Super Saturday Projects, Christmas and Wedding gifts, and are great for teachers...fill it with a cake mix and frosting and tie a bow around it.

7 comments:

  1. That would be great for Christmas presents...hhmm you have my wheels turning now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I'm always loosing my Pyrex at parties. I'll be linking to this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! I just want to clarify something though...when you put the vinyl on the outside of your pan you don't peel the back of it off, you know, to leave the letters by themselves? Also, do you have to be super precise about applying the etching stuff on the letters? Thanks so much for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thankis so much for your comment. Just to clarify. I am not sure if I understand your question so if I get it toally wrong I apologize. The vinyl that I send has the letters cut out of it and the words are printed backwards so you put it on the bottom of your pan and then you peel the transfer paper off and where the letters are is left blank so the glass is right through it. And you can get the etching over all of the vinyl. Just make sure you don't go over the edges of the vinyl towards the outside of the pan or you will etch there! I hope that was what you were looking for, If not send me again. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love doing these! how long does it take you to get the vinyl made up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am doing this for a Super Saturday for our stake and was just wondering, Is it safe to rinse off the etching cream in lets say a the church's kitchen sink? Do you know if it is harmful to pipes, etc? Jocelyn Jones

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jocelyn-
    It should be okay as long as you don't leave it sitting in the sink. As soon as you wash it off wash it out of the sink. We did it there and had no problem. We first wiped it with paper towels and then rinsed in the sink! Have fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Shout it here! I LOVE to hear what you're thinking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...