Monday, June 28, 2010

Surgeons Hat

My husband came home this weekend and wanted some fabric surgical hats. He is tired of wearing the ill fitting disposable hats that are provided to him in the OR. So while he was home and I could measure his head, I got to work. You will need to fit off the following two sheets with no margins.
Cut out your pattern and tape the stars so that they match up when overlapped. I actually printed off two of the patterns and instead of having to place them on a fold, I could center them on my shirt perfectly. If you want to do it this way, just tape them together on the fold lines.

Place your patterns on your fabric, or in this case an old t-shirt. He wanted it comfortable, breathable, and with a cool pattern on it.

Pin the top of the hat to the top of the side piece, with right sides together. Then sew together with 1/2 inch seam allowance.

Take a ribbon and sew it around the bottom of the sides. Leave 6 inches hanging off both sides, which you will use to tie. Fold the ribbon up and sew along the edge giving it a finished look from the outside.

And there you have it. Easy as pie! A stylish well fitting surgeons hat for your new on the horizon career in the operating room!



He's thrilled that he gets to be my model, can't you tell?

11 comments:

  1. Super COOL! I am making some of these! My husband no longer frequents many surgery suites, but one of my dear friends is a midwife and she assists on c-sections regularly... She'll LOVE this!!! :) Thanks bunches and bunches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you EVER figure that out! WOW - it looks so good! Yes, I can tell that he is way thrilled to be the model. Whoops! He almost smiled in that last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very 'Scrubs' (in a good way!) Well done! And yes, he does look excited, in a very husbandy way LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Miss Shannon! So glad you stopped by my blog today. Thanks for letting me know about the books too! My dad works for DI and they have so many old books that they don't have enough room for them all. I guess there are more books than people who want to buy them;) They end up putting them to recycle. AHHHHH! My dad has been wonderful enough to bring a lot of them home to me. I just love how they look and it's fun to have something wholesome to read. Thanks for letting me know just how special they are;) I'm now going to snoop around your blog while I'm here.

    Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I hope you'll link up this week to Make It Wear It!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't those head covers supposed to be sterile? Is he wearing a new one for each surgery? How are you sterilizing them at home?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes they have to be sterile! EVERYTHING he wears into the or does. From his hat to his scrubs to his socks to his shoes. I do alot of sterlizing! In fact, I'll post about it later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't get the patterns to print correctly could you email them to me. tpavelka@gpcom.net I would like to make some for my daughter who is a surg tech. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. This doesn't really tell you the exact dimensions that your pattern is...do you have that? Thanks so much...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the tutorial. The hat turned out lovely. However, knit material is not necessarily recommended for the OR. Woven cotton is best due to the low linting properties. In response to a previous post - re-useable hats (& scrubs) are not considered sterile because you cannot sterilize someone's head! They should be "surgically clean".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the tutorial. The hat turned out lovely. However, knit material is not necessarily recommended for the OR. Woven cotton is best due to the low linting properties. In response to a previous post - re-useable hats (& scrubs) are not considered sterile because you cannot sterilize someone's head! They should be "surgically clean".

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Shout it here! I LOVE to hear what you're thinking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...