Friday, July 23, 2010

Plunging Neckline Cover-up!

Did You miss me last weekends over at Scraps N' Strings? Just in case...

Hey It's Shannon over from ShannonMakesStuff and I am so excited to be here at Scraps N' Strings with all you fabulous followers! This is my first blog swap and I am excited to be sharing the experience with all of you!

For those of you who haven't seen me around blog world yet, I thought I would share a little of me with you! I am a mother of three young boys. I am married to a man in the middle of Nurse Anesthesia school which leaves me to run the show, you can follow my story here. I stay up way too late creating. I love any medium and any art or craft project. I try every day to hold on to being a little girly although as every night passes it seams to be slipping further and further away and the boy traits are creaping in. So I started a blog to share what I love, and keep me a little more me until my little girl comes into my home! A girl can dream right? Well, enough about me...on with the show...

I have created something for you that is a must have in every women's wardrobe. Have you ever had that perfect shirt but the neckline plunges a little too low? And it's WAY to hot to wear multiple layers, or you simply don't want to add the bulk? This is the solution.

Grab an old t-shirt and flip it upside down. In this case, I used one of my sons. Place the bottom hem of the shirt across your chest and hold it tight underneath your arms.

I place a bra on over my clothes so you can see what I am referring too. With the shirt in place make two snips on the side of the bra strap.

Take the shirt and lay it flat on the ground. Cut straight down from the snip marks about 7-10 inches. Then cut across the bottom to make a square piece.

You can now take this piece and pin it back in place across your chest.

Measure the width of your bra strap starting at the front inner going to the edge and then underneath to the other side and then add 1/2 inch. My measurement was 2 1/4 inches. Cut a piece of ribbon double this length. Fold the ribbon in half and pin the center of it to the edge of the shirt piece.

Here is a side view. The raw edges of the ribbon are underneath the shirt. (Make sure you fray checked the ends.)

Take the pin out of the shirt and put it back through the ribbon right where it was when it was attached to the shirt piece. Take a piece of velcro and attach it to the loop side of the ribbon piece ending at the pin.

Then on the raw edge side sew on the other side of the velcro piece.

Turn your shirt piece right side down and place the ribbon piece back in place. The center of the two velcro pieces should be placed on the edge of the shirt piece.

Sew a small rectangle to keep the ribbon piece in place.
Take your shirt piece and you can now tuck the ribbon underneath your bra strap and velcro it in place.
Put your plunging neckline shirt on, and there you have it!
A simple way to create that layered look without adding too much bulk.
You can also adjust the shirt piece by lowering it or raising it on your bra strap to get the perfect height of cover up for your needs.
And it's perfect for those of you who need to play it safe at the work place with it in place and then take it out for an instant change to head out for a night on the town.

I hope you will LOVE this piece in your wardrobe as much as I am loving it in mine! I would LOVE for you to come stop by at ShannonMakesStuff and see all my other tutorials from The Perfect Swimming Bag to Screen Printing! I guarantee I'll keep your creation jar full if you stop by and become a follower!

27 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I think in Victorian days, they folded a handkerchief to make a dress more "modest". I definitely need a few different colours of this to add to my wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh! that's awesome and I need to make like 2!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good idea - thanks!! Don't know where you are, but here in Arizona, it's no fun to wear two shirts. . . this is perfect!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came over from Chris' Sewing 101 and LOVE this tutorial! I'm always putting a tank top under my shirts...this is the perfect fix. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I purchased one of these but it has lace on it and is silky, so it is really for dressier clothes. Now I can make one for my t-shirts. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! I will feature it on Tuesday at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. I just got a shirt this week in which I need one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great instructions! I've been seeing commercials on TV for those silky ones and I kept thinking that I could make one myself, but couldn't quite wrap my head around how to attach it to my bra - Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you seen the infomercial for the "cami secret"? Same idea, but the infomercial makes it seem so ridiculous. I'd never buy it, but I would probably make it for myself! Check it out: http://www.camisecret.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

    ~JILL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it and you just saved serveral of my summer shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever. I have several shirts that could do with something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a GREAT idea!!!! My mom and I had just been rolling this around in our heads. How great to see how you did it. Thanks for sharing.

    www.rockiescrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is PURE genius. You just solved all my wardrobe woes! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful idea. I've always avoided buying blouses that were too low-cut, but now, I can buy any blouse I like and modify it. It might be a good idea to make them in different colors to coordinate with whatever color blouses I have. Thanks for such a useful and simple craft idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so clever! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant!! I have two young- 21 & 16 daughters I love this. Great idea! thanks1

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it!I have tons of shirts that need this! I think im going to just sew the to the shirts. The imaginary tee illusion will stay with my shirts forever! lol thank u!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesdays! what a fun idea and great way to stay modest

    ReplyDelete
  18. OHMYGOSH!! This idea is FABSTINKIN'TABULOUS!! I love it thanks so much for sharing....AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVED this idea to keep things a little more out of sight. I featured it here! So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, I'll be... What a great idea!! I even think I could actually make some for myself. I have several things that need something under, but it's always too hot and too bulky! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea! My sewing skills are so limited I don't know if I can figure it out, but I love it. I need several!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for this tutorial, it's perfect! I link to you on my blog, www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you only knew how many low cut knit shirts I have tried to fix by sewing something across the gap! This is such a clever idea. I'm featuring it on my new blog tutorialsandpatterns.blogspot.com. Grab a "featured" button if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  24. YEA!! I was just going through my clothes after a move and was planning to get rid of a bunch of my knit Old Navy tops due to the neckline. I bought them when I was nursing (C-D cup) and actually LIKED the neckline. But now that I'm back down to my normal size (smaller than an A cup), I can't wear them. I'd finally gotten used to the idea of getting rid of them. Guess I'll try this idea to see if I should keep them or not.

    Even better...my husband just threw out a bunch of his old t-shirts, and I thankfully saved them to be donated so I can use those. Yea!!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Shout it here! I LOVE to hear what you're thinking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...