Friday, August 13, 2010

How To Prepare Canvas For Vinyl Decals

I want to share a secret with you today. This is something I do ALOT being that I own my own vinyl business. I am sure you have seen vinyl decals applied to canvas. Well, if you have attempted it yourself, you might have run into a problem. Trying to get the vinyl to stick. Let me tell you the secret. First take your canvas and lay it on your work space.

Then paint it with the first layer of paint. Acrylic craft paint works wonders. In between coats I place my plate and brush in a Ziploc bag and close it.

Once the first layer is dry, paint another layer of color.

Once the second layer of paint is dry take your handy dandy bottle of mod podge. And paint a thin layer of mod podge over the front of the canvas.
Let dry completely. Overnight would be ideal. And then your canvas is ready for your vinyl to be applied. The mod podge gives it the texture to stick to, where the paint just doesn't quite have it. There is no need to apply mod podge to the top of your decal, unless you have the desire. It won't affect it either way.

(I apologize I don't have the finished product to show you. I prepared this canvas for a friend for her daughters wedding and then she finished it up.)

16 comments:

  1. Ooh this is super timely Shannon! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing you can do for your customer is to ask for their ideas about the designs and theme they are after for the decals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if I didn't want to paint the canvas, would your process still work. I have a white canvas and I will coat it with mod podge and then apply the vinyl. Can I then apply the mod podge over the entire project if I want to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would spray paint work as the layer bender the mod podge?
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Before the mod podge :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing this. Will be a great help in an upcoming project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial! It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering if I didn't want to paint the canvas, could I just apply the mod podge and then the vinyl?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I put vinyl straight on the canvas and the mod podge over that. Held up great even in the rain. I did 3-5 coats

    ReplyDelete
  9. This didn't work for me -- any other suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I've had it work every time so I'm not sure... Once you put the vinyl down you could mod podge over top of the vinyl to seal it in. If you are using the matte finished mod podge try using the gloss one which has a better finish for the vinyl to adhere...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, let's say i have a white canvas and don't want to paint it, do i still need to mod podge it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thx. Now I know what my sticker didn't stick.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thx. Now I know what my sticker didn't stick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My thoughts on wanting to place a vinyl sticker directly onto a blank canvas would be to first spray the bare canvas with a mat spray or poly spray (This would give the canvas a better application surface) , wait until it completely dries, and then carefully apply the vinyl decals. You would probably want to spray the finished product again with the matt or poly spray to protect your artwork. Please let me know your thoughts on this and if it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Shout it here! I LOVE to hear what you're thinking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...