Monday, July 11, 2011

Super Hero Capes and Eye Masks for your little Super Hero

We are all boy around my neck of the woods, and it looks like it's going to be staying that way for some time. With the craft show I was just in I knew I needed something for boys. I wasn't up for pool noodle swords like I've done in the past, so it dawned on me. Capes. I needed to do capes. Something simple. Something cheap. Something fun. I started out with boy colors, and then added girls to the mix. And I'm so glad I did. They were a huge hit! I even sent them out to my nieces and nephews. The neighborhood girls are riding around with them flying behind them on their bikes, and my youngest son just can't seam to go anywhere without his. Well worth the $1.06 it cost to make one. (You actually have to make them in sets of 2 to get that price.)

So if you have a birthday coming up, these are great for favors. If you have a craft fair, these are inexpensive and perfect to catch those little guys eyes. And if not, there fun for anyone! I had a group of teenagers buy one in each color and they flew around like the ninja turtles all craft show day long! It was a hit every time I saw them I couldn't help but smile and laugh inside.


So here's the deal. This is NOT to scale. My pattern making programs are in storage:(. So this lovely paint picture will have to do. It's just to give you an idea, a very rough idea of the shape.
First. You want to make the cape out of knit. So you don't have to sew around the edges. I actually used polyester knit. I love the weight that it has, but it flies perfectly up behind my little super hero's. So you will need one yard, for two capes and two eye masks. (Or goggles as my sister calls them, he he.) Take the fabric and cut it in half along where the natural fold is when you purchased it. Then You will cut of 3 inches from the edge. This will be used for the eye mask. It is the skinny side that you will cut it off from. Do this with both sides if you are making two masks. If not you can put the other half aside for a future project. Then take the remaining piece that you cut the 3 inch piece from and cut the cape shape. Just round the two bottom corners. Then you are going to make a deeper curve for the top two. Cut about a three inch piece out and round it out like a cantaloupe. That's the best way I can describe it. Look at the photo above or the photo below to see the shape I am referring too. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just this general idea.
The reason I cut my capes this way is that it allows them to flow up when the child is running and the shape stays securely snug over their shoulders instead of choking them like most capes end up doing. You will then cut a two inch piece of Velcro and sew it to each side. Make sure you sew one to the top and then the other one to the bottom of the strip. 
Just like this. 
It allows it to close just right. 
Then take the three inch strip and cut out a notch for the nose, and right above it to come down a little bit. Then cut out two notches for the ears, and of course the eye holes. Please see the first picture for the shape. Then you tie the ends together. And you have an eye mask to go along with your cape. 
It's been about 2 months now since I made these and this is a regular occurrence. 
I have to sneak in there and take them off once I know he's completely asleep. Because if it wakes him up, he isn't very happy. I've even had to wash it a few times because it's gotten so dirty. It's a part of his daily outfit. He even tried to sneak out the door in it to go to church. 
I hope your little guys and gals like them as much as mine do! Let me know if you give it a try!

And if they don't like them. Your teenage sisters might. It's just a little more embarrassing for you if they do and you happen to be around!:) Or it might help your sells with them prancing around the craft show. Oh what it was like to be a teenager and be care free!
 
Yes, that's my booth behind them. (And Yes, I'll show you just how I made my perfect pettiskirts. Oh I love them. Can't wait to have a girl so I can keep one. Until then... I've sent them off to my nieces. And I can't wait to show you the pictures!)

Super Hero Capes and Eye Masks. They are super fun and super cute. And Yes, I have one added to my collection so I can run around with my little guys. Hey, that's what happens when you're a mom to only boys! I LOVE it.

3 comments:

  1. I made some for my nephews this week - thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant wait to make the capes and mask for my little ones superhero birthday party!!! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog, I love it! I can't wait to get making some of these costumes! My kids will live in their costumes too!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Shout it here! I LOVE to hear what you're thinking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...