Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Crayon Wreath For My Door and For Their Teachers

I've seen these floating around pinterest and decided to give it a try and put my spin on it. You can see different versions that I also love here, here, here, here, and here. You get the idea. Just google Crayon Wreath, there are millions of different versions. So I am going to add mine to the world wide web!


Let's get started, shall we? Grab two embroidery hoops. One 9-10 inches, the other one 4-5 inches. Separate the hoops. You only need the outer one with the clasp. Set the other two aside for a future project. Take the smaller hoop and place it directly in the middle of the larger one.


Then grab your crayons and your hot glue and start gluing. I just put two dots on each of the embroidery hoops where the crayon lays. I also make sure the Crayola sign is facing perfectly up.


Then start going around in a circle. Place the ends of the crayons directly next to each other but space the crayon tips a little distance apart.


Just keep grabbing and gluing. I used an 84 pack of crayons. This is one section from them.


And here is two sections.


And three sections.


And four sections. Funny thing was I made three wreaths. Two of them I only had one crayon left over but one of them I had five. Not sure how I pulled that off.


To line them up the same and make sure they fit correctly I placed the bottom black line on each crayon even with the inside edge of the smaller hoop.


And for my wreath, because I'm a little OCD, I glued the colors on in hues going with the color wheel.


You can now add some decor if you like. Scissors, pencils, erasers, glue, and rulers would all be fun. I laid it out. And then decided I didn't want any. But here it is laid out in case you decide you like it  better with. I did get small chalkboard from the craft store and glued one extra crayon across the corner of it.


Then grab 1 1/2 yards of ribbon. Cut the ends into upside down v-shapes.


Either frey check the ends or burn them with a lighter to set the edge.


Then slide the two ends into the middle crayon where the hoops go together. Put one end on each side.


Turn the wreath over carefully and pull the ribbon through.


Pull the ends until there is 5-6 inches left in a loop above the wreath. Make sure both ends of the ribbon are the same length.


Then I slide on my chalkboard. Put it on both of the ribbons coming through the front.


Take each end of the ribbon and lay it out flat to the side.


Take the right one and loop it so the loop is on the end of the crayons.


Repeat with the other side.


Then take the right loose end and loop it again. This time making it 2-3 inches shorter than the first loop.


Repeat with the other side.


Take the two sides and tie them together in a knot in the middle.


Slowly pull the large loops on the bottom on each side until they are tight.


Then pull the top loops until they are tight.


Write the teachers name on the chalkboard and you have a fabulous gift for your teacher!





Or write Back 2 School for a fun wreath for your front door!




Let me know if you give it a try or if you've seen another fun version that you love that I've missed!!! And hurray three cheers for school starting...

P.S. I'm almost set up and ready to go to start college once we move when the new semester starts in January. So excited that it's my time now! I've been so patient for the last ten years to finish my degree. (I've got a long way to go I only have a year and a half under my belt... ack...and I'm sure none of those classes will count for anything anymore... but here's to hoping!)

9 comments:

  1. Very cute and unique. This is the first I've seen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... That's amazing! :) I love all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOOOOVE this project! It turned out so well and you've inspired me to make one of my own! I also wanted to tell you that I featured you over at my blog here. Please feel free to grab a featured button if you want!

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just completed one and it is so easy for even me to do. I made two layers of crayons and spaced the top layer between the bottom points of the crayons. It is nice and full. I have not attempted the bow but loved your step by step instructions. Great teacher gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are brilliant! I'm making 10 of them for Christmas gifts for my kids' teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've looked at a bunch of crayon wreaths, and I have to say yours is my favorite. I'm going to make three of them tonight for my kids' teachers and I'm excited to copy yours! I especially love the chalk board.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Shannon,

    I love this project, and I featured it in my blog post, which you can read here: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/melted-crayon-art-crayon-crafts-for-kids. I love your crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the detailed instructions. If you can teach so well on a blog, I can just imagine you in a classroom!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Shout it here! I LOVE to hear what you're thinking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...